Awesome Women’s Hockey Team Names

How great was it to see a woman’s hockey team featured at the beginning of the NHL Winter Classic earlier this week? A big shout out to the MsConduct – who have a great name, a funny logo and a marvellous motto (“Win or Lose, We Booze”). I love their website.

My teammates Janet and Julie are credited with coming up with our team name during a boozy brainstorming session. The Stanley Cupcakes is a great name on many levels. It relates to hockey’s greatest honour and then turns it on its ear. It’s fun.

Another teammate, the fabulously talented Rhonda, created an equally awesome logo.

There are a number of other wonderful team names out there. Here are a few of my favourites:

• The Hockey Bags
  • The Machete Bettys (their logo features a pin-up girl wielding a machete, as I recall).
  • Raging Daisies
  • The Jills
  • Girlicious
  • Hericanes
  • Chicks with Stix
  • Babes on Blades
  • Lunachix
  • Ms Stix

And a shout out to one of the best hockey player names: a goalie in Kelowna by the name of Lisa Hockey. You could say “hockey” is her second name.

Does your team have a great name? Share!

Have fun out there – and wear your logo proudly.

About these ads

12 Comments

1. mary charleson

/  January 5, 2012

MsConducts look like a fun team on that NBC pond hockey clip – right age and motto! Perhaps the Stanley Cupcakes should arrange a Chicago road trip? Or pond tournament? Not sure about the frozen feet in -20 weather though. That’s why I moved to Vancouver.
    I guess we’d be the “day old special Cupcakes out of the freezer” at that one!

2. Did you see their first net hockeysocks during the pregame show of the Winter Classic? Their motto rocks!:

3. karen27

/  January 5, 2012

Didn’t see the hockey socks but have heard about them from a couple of people. Maybe we can talk the MsConduct into coming to the tournament in Wenatchee, WA!

4. thebee

/  January 5, 2012

Good ones… Also love the Demolition Diva’s, the Happy Cows, the Moon Cussers and the Dynamoms. The Lady Blings still fits with the Stanley Cupcakes….

5. Hey in addition to great names how about great songs??? Check out the “Cupcake Hockey Game” theme song! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtxzAOPygtw
    Just thought I’d get that one in there knowing the gals from Chicago may be interested.

6. hello hello!!! Mel here from MsConduct Chicago!!! Thank you Karen for reaching out to us! We had no idea the clip would be re-aired, but so happy it did!!! I like the “brainstorming session” .. While I can’t say that we had one of those for our team name/logo, some of our other ideas like “Commit to the Fishnet” did, even t-shirt ideas and other team events came from those sessions! Ahh good times!
    And the fishnets…well, look pretty sweet w/our black jerseys… I mean it’s our “little black dress” you know and we need to dress to impress on the ice! :) And the matching can cooler is the perfect accessory! tee hee (my shameless plug) :) I’m the goalie so I guess that explains my excitement !!!!

As for tourneys, let us know of the dates, we’ll see if we can make it, meet halfway or have you come on down to Chi-town!!! We are always looking to meet new people that share the same passion for the game! :)

Ohhh and some other team names that we’ve seen at the pond… CheckAHoes, PuckAHoes, HookAHoes, Fembots, Pucker Up, Puck Buddies…

Cheers!! Maybe we’ll face-off soon!
    Mel

7. karen27

/  January 6, 2012

Love it, Mel! And for those who want to see the MsConducts and their awesome fishnet hockey socks, they’re part of this NBC report on pond hockey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRr8fd9jDHY

8. Ohhh … and how could I have forgotten!?!!? We have a gal who is the epitome of having a hockey name too.. Hoechbauer (hock-Bauer) :)
    Great vid!!!! Love it!! You take a bus to the tourney in WA?! How awesome!!?

9. Camy G

/  January 5, 2012

Hello Stanley Cupcakes (love the name)!! Mel passed along your website to all of us at MsConduct – it’s awesome and I am still laughing from your video! I hope we get the chance to meet and play; your group looks and sounds as much fun as ours and it would be a blast. Too bad you aren’t going to be at Pond Hockey – maybe next year? Camy #21

10. karen27

/  January 5, 2012

Pond Hockey is on our “to do” list – maybe next year. In the meantime, we could always have Vegas…

11. Peggy

/  January 7, 2012

Love your blog, and plan to keep on reading it! I was the lucky one honored to be interviewed at Pond Hockey and was amazing at how good they made me look~ we ARE a fun team, and enjoy meeting others who have the same zany passion for hockey. I really hope we can meet on the ice soon, Thanks so much!

12. karen27

/  January 7, 2012

Thanks Peggy. You DID look amazing – way to go! I’m going to write soon about how playing hockey makes us better hockey mums. Maybe you’ll have some input!